Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fan Commentaries

This is more of a request than anything, but if I start ranting, bear with me.

I'm looking to find fan-made audio commentaries for New Who. Specifically, I'm looking for people who've done fan commentaries of *all* the episodes, not just a handful here or there. I'm also looking for fan commentaries from people who don't spend 90% of the episode moaning about how bad the episode is. I'd like to hear some witty commentary that actually sounds like these fans are actually enjoying themselves, because really...I've tried a few and it's hard to try to watch a scene I enjoy while listening to people rant and rave about how completely crappy the scene is. It drives me nuts, because I spend most of the time just yelling, "Okay, I get it! You think New Who is crap! Now shut up, turn the video off and go put in Caves of Androzani or something!" It's also grating when they talk like they have no clue of the subtleties of what's going on, when if they'd just pay attention, rather than complaining, they might actually get it.

I don't know, I think I may have been spoiled by the commentaries that are on the Red Dwarf DVDs. I got so used to listening to the actors sitting around together, having a good time and if they did have criticisms, they were made in such a way that sounded more teasing and goofy than just pure nastiness.

Or maybe I just have to invite some friends over and make my own. I don't know.

6 comments:

Combom said...

its a good idea, never seen any though :)

StormWolf said...

They're kind of hard to find, even though there's articles out there claiming that all you have to do is google "doctor who fan commentary" and a bunch pop up. I only really found three. Unfortunately, *none* of them do commentaries on all the episodes, and two out of the three are hard to listen to because all they do is bitch the whole time.

I just can't understand that mentality. If I don't like a show, even if I liked the original version as a kid, I'm not going to watch it, let alone record commentaries on it. Take Knight Rider for example. I *loved* that show as a kid. I tried out an episode of the new version, thought it sucked, and didn't watch it again.

So, really, the only one I can suggest is "MMM Commentaries". They've only done commentaries on a very small handful of episodes (and none from series 4), but at least they sounded like they were moderately enjoying the show.

Combom said...

prob is, they need to be pretty professional, by ppl with a reasonable who knowledge, not by a bunch of giggling kids, IF this was achieved, i know ppl who would like them, if the latter, then theyll be quickly lost on the internet!

i hope that doenst make me sound "elitist", but anyone can watch DW with the kids in their family, you need an authority to make it worthwhile!

StormWolf said...

Very true. The people I've heard certainly *sound* professional, at least.

Unknown said...

I have to say.. I understand the thing about moaning. Why watch New Who if all you do is whine about how crap it is. New who is why I fell in love with Classic Who.

same as combom i've never seen any. Thought about giving a blog version of what i think of eps but considering I am not the moaning type i figure peeps would find it boring.

StormWolf said...

I certainly wouldn't. I think there's a large difference between finding small issues within an episode and the usual habit people have of completely going off the rails and delving into "bitching" territory.