Pages

Friday, December 26, 2008

Comments on The Next Doctor (spoilery)

This is one of those times when I was so absolutely wrong, but what really happened was so good that I wasn't all that bothered about being wrong. Well, except for the fact that David Morrissey's character ended up not being the Doctor at all, but that's just because I think he'd make a fantastic Doctor. Still, who he actually was was very special in his own way, so it wasn't a huge let down.

The chemistry between the two Davids was so great. It certainly hasn't flagged since the last time they were together on-screen. In fact, all the acting was superb this year, especially, of course, David Tennant's. I think I've said this before, but the man doesn't have to say anything to convey everything that we need to know. And the breaking of his voice as he said "they break my heart" instantly brought me to tears. I'm such a sap.

RTD's writing was very clever. I liked how he used the concept of the fugue state to explain Jackson Lake's broken memory. It makes so much more sense than other shows I've seen where a person goes through immense trauma, and just shrugs it off and keeps going. I love that Jackson went through so much that his mind just ran away from it all. I found it much more satisfying than the rumors I'd heard that the Cybermen had been brainwashing him.

Lastly, I think The Mill really outdid themselves this year. That Cyberking contraption stepping on London was fantastic! Also, apparently the balloon part of Jackson's "TARDIS" was pure CGI from The Mill as well, but if I hadn't heard RTD say it, I would have never known! It looked so real!

All-in-all, I'm very pleased. My favorite Christmas special is still The Christmas Invasion, but this comes a very close second. It was ten times better than Voyage of the Damned, I must say.

1 comments:

Combom said...

my fav xmas DW show so far :)