Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

How Time Does Fly

I can't believe series four of Doctor Who is almost over. It makes me rather sad, because once it's over, all that anticipation that I've been feasting on these last few months will be gone. Sure, I could anticipate the Christmas special, but that might drive me mad, as it's six months from now.

Speculation about these last three episodes of the series has been running rampant, ranging from fairly rational to completely bizarre. Please tell me it's not true that Harriet Jones is inside the red Dalek. C'mon. Sure, the Doctor ruined her career, but I seriously doubt that she'd go so far as to join forces with an alien race that will not only try to destroy her beloved Britain, but the entire planet.

My personal speculations are pretty much like they were with the question, "Who is River Song?" That being, it's pretty straight forward, and I believe some people are going way overboard on their predictions. The big enemy is almost certainly Davros and his Daleks. No, Rose is not some secret baddie that's going to turn on the Doctor suddenly, and neither is Donna. No, Donna is not some secret regeneration of the Master. No, it was not Jenny who picked up the Master's ring at the end of series three, nor was it Donna. The ring Donna wears is FAR too big to be the Master's ring. Yes, I know the Master's ring is a man's ring, but it certainly didn't have a giant faux stone on top of it, and Donna's ring has none of the green Gallifreyan script that was on the Master's ring.

I think it will be as straight forward as a Doctor Who series finale can be. That is, not completely cut and dry, but not *that* insane. I would think, and I hope the writers and producers would also think, that it would be a very bad idea to end a series that's going to be the last weekly ongoing story until 2010 by betraying the trust of the viewers and turning someone we've learned to trust completely into someone totally evil. Sure, kindly old Professor Yana turned out to be the Master, but he was just a character from one story. Quite different from having a beloved companion turn evil after being trusted by the Doctor and, by proxy, the viewers, the entire series. I know I certainly would have a sense of betrayal, and I'm sure the Who Crew understands that and won't pull that trick on us.

We'll get to share the Doctor and his friends' fear, their joy at seeing Rose again, and a beautiful sense of family when every major character who's lives the Doctor has touched in the last four years since the show came back to television band together to save both this universe and all the other paralell universes. From the hints we've been given, I'm sure there will be a terribly sad moment, or two, or three, or four... but all-in-all I don't sense that there'll be a huge betrayal. Just love, friendship, family and sacrifice, wrapped up in an incredibly dark storyline.

How do I know? I don't, but common sense tells me I'm right. And since this is my blog, I'll just leave it at that. ;)

1 comments:

Mr Seta said...

Can't you hear it...the drumming? That ceaseless drumming...always in my head.


I am closer than you think