Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

On the subject of spoilers...

Spoilers...I love 'em.

Now, I know many people absolutely hate them with a passion. I have friends that won't even let me say if something they haven't seen is good or not. "Oh, Midnight was gr--" "DON'T TELL ME!" Well, good grief. I was just going to say it was great. Sue me. That is one of the reasons why I started this blog, even though I haven't gotten to it yet. I'd like to actually be able to talk about episodes people might not have seen yet without being yelled at for even saying if an episode is good or not.

However, I love spoilers. For me, the joy of watching something is to enjoy good writing and acting. My interest has never really been in being surprised. I in fact like knowing little hints of what's going to happen, because it fills me with anticipation to find out just how they pull off the little tidbit I've seen. I get all this information on what's supposed to happen, but they're disconnected, so I enjoy watching how they end up getting woven together.

For instance, the whole River Song business. So, we got a "spoiler" that she was going to be a future love interest for the Doctor, blah blah. When I saw that, I sort of groaned and decided I'd just wait and see. And lo and behold, I watched the episodes and simply loved the way Steven Moffat pulled it off. He didn't over-sap it, he didn't make it overbearing. It was just there. We find she's from his future and very close to him...and then they move on to more pressing business of shadows eating River's crew. That's what had me hooked on those episodes, not being surprised that River's a future love interest.

Some people are up in arms over the fact that we know that all the companions are going to come back and fight together, and that the Big Bad of the series is Davros. My thought is...so what? Isn't the good part of it finding out how he got there and what he's doing, rather than being surprised that he's there? It's like the Master in series 3. Okay, so it was a big reveal that the Doctor wasn't actually the Last of the Time Lords like he thought he was the first three series. So what? Isn't the story the important part, not who the big bad guy is or who's going to make an appearance?

Well, I think so, at least.

0 comments: